Shadow is credited with saving Karen and her two young sons (as well as the family dog Duke) on the night of January 16 last year. The cat?s loud meowing woke Karen, who was sleeping in the basement bedroom.
Feeling nauseous and disoriented, and realizing something was terribly wrong, Karen called 911 and then got everyone out of the house. They were suffering from carbon monoxide exposure and were treated at a nearby hospital. Firefighters detected CO levels as high as 300 parts per million at the residence (resulting from a faulty furnace), a situation that could have ended in tragedy but for Shadow?s persistent warnings.